Barar Associates

Home Office COVID-19 guidance: support for migrants living in the UK


A VPN is an essential component of IT security, whether you’re just starting a business or are already up and running. Most business interactions and transactions happen online and VPN

The Home Office has recently published a new guidance that explains the support migrants living in the UK can get under this current climate.

Possibility to access public funds

You can make a ‘change of conditions’ application for access to public funds if you have a UK family or private life visa and that you satisfy one of the following conditions:

  • You are destitute or at risk of destitution;
  • Your child’s welfare is at risk due to low income;
  • You are in other exceptional financial circumstances.

If you need medical treatment in the UK

It is free of charge for the diagnosis or treatment of COVID-19, which includes if you are tested and the result is negative.

And if you are advised by your GP or the NHS that you have a medical condition that makes you vulnerable to contracting COVID-19, you can get support such as deliveries of medication and food.

If you are employed in the UK

Your employer can apply for government support if the business is unable to open or there is no longer work for you to do due to COVID-19. And even if your biometric residence permit (BRP) has ‘NRPF’ ‘no public funds’ printed on it, you may still be able to access statutory sick pay, contributory employment and support allowance, and support for employers via the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

On the other hand, if you are registered as self-employed, you may be able to get support via the Coronavirus Self-employment Income Support Scheme.

If you are studying in the UK

Your sponsor should not report you if you are absent from your place of study due to COVID-19. Please kindly see our recently published article on the government’s guidance for Tier 4 sponsors and students for more information: 

If you cannot afford housing costs

If you are renting a house

The government has offered support for both renters and landlords. In England for instance, it is vital for landlords to give 3 months’ notice of evictions, and all evictions proceedings have been suspended for 90 days from 27 March 2020.

If you are paying a mortgage

If you are in financial difficulty due to COVID-19 and are not already behind the payment schedule, you could contact your mortgage lender so that they could offer you 3 months of repayment holidays.

Local authority support

Local authority social services can provide support for people with illnesses, disabilities, or mental health conditions. They may also provide assistance if you/your family members have specific care needs.

If you are an asylum seeker

You can access government support for asylum seekers if you are waiting for a decision from the Home Office in relation to whether you will be given asylum.

You can read more about the Home Office guidance for support available to migrants living in the UK via the following link:

If you would like to discuss with us the support you are eligible to obtain as a migrant living in the UK, please do not hesitate to contact our team of expert UK Immigration lawyers at or on 0207 487 8370. You can access more information about us via


Join our mailing list

Related Posts: