Barar Associates

Criminal record checks for overseas applicants


A VPN is an essential component of IT security, whether you’re just starting a business or are already up and running. Most business interactions and transactions happen online and VPN
Criminal record check

Criminal record checks for overseas applicants

The Home Office has recently issued some guidance on how to apply for a criminal record check for someone from overseas.

Under the UK immigration rules, people aged 18 or over applying for a UK visa as a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur), Tier 1 (Investor) and Tier 2 (General) worker in education, health or social care sectors must provide a criminal record certificate from any country (except the UK) where they have lived for 12 months or more in the previous 10 years. The 12 month-period does not need to be continuous.

Furthermore, any dependent partner must also provide a criminal record certificate. Moreover, applicants already in the UK seeking to extend their stay in one of the above categories should also provide a criminal certificate.

The Home Office requests an applicant who is unable to obtain a certificate to provide an explanation with their visa application along with proof of attempts to obtain the certificate. The Home Office can then decide to waive this requirement.

The UK government has announced further implementation and extension of this requirement for other migrants in the foreseeable future.

You can access the guidance issued by the Home Office via the link below:

Should you have any questions on UK immigration, please do not hesitate to contact our professional team of Immigration lawyers at Barar and Associates at or call us at 020 7487 8370. You can access more information about us via


Join our mailing list

Related Posts: