Barar Associates

Update on English language requirement for Tiers 1 and 2 visa applications


A VPN is an essential component of IT security, whether you’re just starting a business or are already up and running. Most business interactions and transactions happen online and VPN
Update on English language requirement for Tiers 1 and 2 visa applications

Update on English language requirement for Tiers 1 and 2 visa applications

English Language requirement is one of the requirements which must be met by applicants for Tiers 1, 2 and 4 visas. This requirement is of great significance under the UK Immigration Rules.

By providing relevant valid documents where possible, an applicant would be able to satisfy the English Language requirement if he/she:

 Is a national of a Home Office-recognised majority English-speaking country; or

 Has completed an academic qualification taught in English and equivalent to a UK Bachelor’s, Master’s degree or Ph.D.; or

 Has passed an approved English language test (under Appendix O of the Immigration Rules previously); or

 Is exempted.

Recently, the Home Office made 2 changes to the English Language requirement for Tiers 1 and 2, leaving the requirement for Tier 4 unchanged. Namely, to remove Appendix O from the Immigration Rules and to change the English Language requirements for doctors, dentists, nurses, and midwives applying under Tier 2 (General).


English language test

The list of approved English test providers will no longer appear in Appendix O but will be published on the website.

You can find the full list via the link below:

English language requirement for doctors, dentists, nurses and midwives applying under Tier 2 (General)

Doctors, dentists, nurses and midwives applying under Tier 2 (General) are exempt from having to meet the English language requirements for visa purposes, given that they have passed a valid English language test which is accepted by any one of the following health professional regulatory bodies:

 General Medical Council; or

 General Dental Council; or

 Nursing and Midwifery Council

Where an applicant is applying for leave with a certificate of sponsorship (CoS) in one of the Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) codes below:

 2211 – Medical Practitioners

 2215 – Dental Practitioners

 2231 – Nurses; and

 2232 – Midwives

He/she will be exempted to be assessed of his/her English language as this would have been done by his/her regulatory body as part of their registration.

You can read more about the English language requirements on the website via the link below:

Should you wish to discuss your immigration matter please do not hesitate to contact our professional team of immigration solicitors at or call us at 020 7487 8370. You can access more information about us via


Join our mailing list

Related Posts: